Moving Fast And Slow At The Same
1.Moving Fast and Slow at the Same Time: Lifecycle Commitments Across Major OS Releases Presented by Adam Samalik
3. Agenda 1. Benefits of Linux Distributions 2. Fedora Modularity (+ demo) 3. Modularity and containers (+ demo) 4. Questions & answers
4. Benefits of Linux distributions
5. Packaging makes software integrated, tested, updated, and easily installable.
6. Lifecycle brings an over-time stability to the diverse open source world.
7. Upstream lifecycle diversity Library foo better Library foo Library foo even better Language runtime B Language runtime A Application v2 Application v1 maintenance timeline
8. Linux distribution lifecycle Library foo better Library foo Language runtime B Language runtime A Application v2 Application v1 maintenance timeline
9. Linux distribution lifecycle Library foo better Fedora Language 28 B runtime Application v2 Library foo Fedora Language 27 A runtime Application v1 maintenance timeline
10.Lifecycles of different Linux distributions CentOS Fedora Arch Linux maintenance timeline
11. Lifecycle differences are very useful, because different people have different needs
12. Lifecycle quotes Quote 1: “Fedora is too fast for me.” Quote 2: “Fedora is too slow for me.”
13. Can Fedora be fast and slow at the same time? “Fedora is too fast for me.” “Fedora is too slow for me.”
15. Packages are the core building blocks of Linux distributions.
16. Modules are logical groups of packages representing an application, or a language runtime.
17.Module benefits: • multiple streams • lifecycle independence • use case-driven installation
18. Modules in Fedora 1) Traditional releases before Modularity Fedora 26 Fedora 27 nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-8.rpm
19. Modules in Fedora 2) Fedora 28 introduced Modularity Fedora 28 nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-10.rpm nodejs-10.rpm Fedora 26 Fedora 27 nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-8.rpm
20. Modules in Fedora 3) Modules have multiple streams Fedora 28 nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-10.rpm nodejs-10.rpm nodejs-8.rpm
21. Modules in Fedora 4) Modules have independent lifecycles Fedora 28 Fedora 29 nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-6.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-10.rpm nodejs-10.rpm nodejs-8.rpm nodejs-10.rpm
22. Thanks to modules, your system can move fast and slow at the same time.
23. Thanks to modules, your system can move fast and slow at the same time. Packaging + lifecycle benefits included.
24. Defaults mean that you can choose a specific version only when you want to.
25. Updates will respect your choice and won’t upgrade to a different stream.
27. Modularity and Containers
28. Containers make applications more portable by containing their dependencies.
29. Containers are so simple, it is sometimes tempting to just find one and run it.