1. How to Evaluate Cloud Databases for eCommerce Shubhra Sinha, VP Strategic Marketing © 2018 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. DataStax is a registered trademark of DataStax, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Apache 1 Cassandra, Apache, Spark, and Cassandra are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation or its subsidiaries in Canada, the United States and/or other countries. Confidential
2. RIGHT The Right-Now Economy: Business Transaction velocity continues to grow exponentially Months > Weeks > Days > Hours > Min/Sec > NOW 2 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential
3.eCommerce Today: ~ 5 to 10 million page views every day hundreds of millions of live product listings To compete, enterprises need ecommerce applications that provide: • A real-time view across all customer interactions and touchpoints • An individualized experience based on declared preferences, behaviors, location • Dynamic pricing based on relevant factors • Enhanced customer visibility to product catalogs via innovative search • Real-time, and highly granular product classifications for personalized recommendations • Comprehensive payment options • End-to-end right-now processing of the eCommerce business
4. Today’s Applications Must Address 5 Dimensions CONTEXTUAL ALWAYS-ON REAL-TIME DISTRIBUTED SCALABLE 4 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential
5. Hybrid Cloud is a Strategic Imperative 85% Of Enterprises Have A Multi-Cloud Strategy 5 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential
6. Hybrid Cloud = Data Autonomy The ability to retain control of your data, independent of the underlying infrastructure Business Agility Security Sovereignty Compliance & Governance Data Portability 6 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential
7.The Right-Now eCommerce Data Framework DataSta x
8. DataStax Enterprise (DSE) Powering the Right-Now Enterprise Built on Apache Cassandra™, the always-on, distributed cloud database designed for the hybrid cloud • Faster Performance • Mixed workloads • Multi-model • Advanced security 8 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential
9.Faster Performance • A one-second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions. • And an ecommerce site has just three seconds to keep a customer waiting before almost half of them click away to a competitor. DSE provides: • 2x throughput for both reads and writes over Cassandra • 4x faster data loading and unloading into and out of DSE • 3x faster query performance DSE allows you to provide better-than-expected customer experience by processing more orders, fielding more queries, and performing faster searches.
10.100% Uptime DSE offers: • No single point of failure, allowing you to add new commodity nodes to an existing cluster without having to take it down • Automatically write data across multiple nodes in a cluster • Replicate data to as many locations as needed across multiple data centers and/or cloud regions DSE ensures your ecommerce application remains available 24x7x365 and provides a consistent user experience no matter where the users are.
11.Mixed Workloads DSE provides: • Support for full-text search and live indexing, relevancy, sub-string, and fuzzy queries over large data sets, aggregation, and geospatial matchups, • Real-time analytics and graph integrated with search, which allows you to correlate customer, store, product, and location data DSE enables you to quickly find data and provide a relevant, instantaneous search experience for your users and provide customers with hyper-personalized recommendations and offers.
12.Multi-Model • eCommerce applications include various modules such as product catalogs, user profile management, fraud detection, recommendation engines, shopping carts, payment gateways, etc. • Each of these modules may have distinct data model requirements, which can make deciding which data model to use for which component difficult. DSE provides: • Support for multiple data models, including tabular, key-value, JSON, and graph, provides the flexibility to handle the different data model requirements of your ecommerce application with ease.
13.Advanced Security DSE provides: • Unified authentication and authorization • End-to-end data encryption (in-flight and at-rest data) • Auditing • Role-based and row-level access controls via Kerberos and LDAP DSE Advanced Security enables you to keep customer and business data protected and meet ever-changing compliance requirements no matter whether the data is stored in the cloud or on-premises.
14. DSE leads in CARDS Contextual: complete data layer comprising of database – including graph, search, and analytics – to instantly serve relevant information and experiences with every interaction Always-on: not simply “high availability,” but continuous availability without complexity and cost of multiple systems for replication and failover Real-time: meet business-critical instant requirements, no matter workload demands or location Distributed: achieve highest workload requirements no matter the location, with the ability to span data centers, cloud regions, and hybrid cloud Scalable: scales linearly and predictably. Scale out with commodity hardware or efficiently scale up with compute-intensive hardware © 2018 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. DataStax is a registered trademark of DataStax, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Apache 14 Cassandra, Apache, Spark, and Cassandra are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation or its subsidiaries in Canada, the United States and/or other countries. Confidential
15. CUSTOMER STORIES © 2018 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. DataStax is a registered trademark of DataStax, Inc. and its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Apache 15 Cassandra, Apache, Spark, and Cassandra are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation or its subsidiaries in Canada, the United States and/or other countries. Confidential
17.Delighting millions of customers with individualized recommendations • 171 million buyers • More than 800 million live listings. Ebay • Manages over 250 TB of data in DSE clusters • Perform billions of read and writes each day • Complex, comprehensive product classifications power highly personalized recommendations and searches in real time
18. DataStax Enterprise: A proven data platform © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. 23 18 18 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved.
19. Powering the Right-Now Enterprise © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. 19
20. Thank You / Q & A © DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Confidential 20