DataStax customer, ProtectWise, a leading enterprise security provider, is revolutionizing how network security is managed by using innovative technologies such as machine learning, gaming, and virtual reality powered by an always-on data platform from DataStax to effectively detect fraud and combat network attacks. Hear from ProtectWise Co-Founder & CTO, Gene Stevens, and learn how ProtectWise uses next-gen technologies, including the advanced data management solution from DataStax, to protect customer data.
1.ProtectWise enhances network security with DataStax always-on data platform Gene Stevens, Co-founder & CTO, ProtectWise Kartavya Jain, Product Marketing Manager, DataStax July 13, 2017 © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
2. Agenda ● Cloud Applications ● DataStax – “The Power Behind the Moment” ● ProtectWise Case Study – Enhancing network security ● Q&A 2 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved.
3. From validation to momentum 400+ $190M 500+ Employees Funding Customers Founded in April 2010 Santa Clara • San Francisco • Austin • London • Paris • Berlin • Tokyo • Sydney (Series E – Sept. 2014) 30% + 2016 World’s Best Ranked #1 in multiple operational 100 Cloud Companies database categories © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
4. Let’s take Your business interacts with people, a moment processes and things all the time © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
5. You have billions of these moments every day. © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
6. And every moment counts…in a rapidly evolving world. Each new innovation accelerates expectations © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
7. These cloud applications must meet expectations. CONTEXTUAL ALWAYS-ON REAL-TIME DISTRIBUTED SCALABLE © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
8. DataStax provides data management for cloud applications. © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
9. Powering cloud applications • Designed to handle any failure, ALWAYS-ON no matter how catastrophic. EFFORTLESS • Take advantage of every opportunity. SCALE • Focus on what matters most to you. • Built into your application to create INSTANT INSIGHT actionable, modern experiences. 9 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved.
10. DataStax’s evolution in context We solve the “right-now” for customers 10 © DataStax, All Rights Reserved.
11. Case Study: ProtectWise © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
12. THE CURRENT MODEL IS CHALLENGED Advanced Attacks Point Product Chaos Resource Shortage Complex threats execute over Point products overwhelm the Not enough humans to long periods of time. human ability to process. manage a response, let alone hunt for threats. Average enterprise breach On prem and siloed point products Less than 10% of an analyst’s detection window is over 200 days weigh down security architecture time is spent in proactive analysis
13. THE PROTECTWISE GRID A new utility model for enterprise security, delivering pervasive visibility, automated threat detection and unlimited forensic exploration — on-demand and entirely from the cloud. “Never, in 52 years in this field, have I seen a collection of dashboards that even comes close to the collection you'll see in ProtectWise.” Peter Stephenson, Editor at Large SC Magazine 1 3
14. A TIME MACHINE FOR THREAT DETECTION Behavioral Analysis Machine Learning PREDICTIVE Heuristics ANALYSIS Signatures REAL TIME ANALYTICS +6 months +1 month Network Traffic +24 hours 24 hours C1 C2 C3 1 month COLLECTIVE CORRELATION 6 month 1 year RETROSPECTIV E ANALYTICS 1 4
15.PROTECTWISE AND DATASTAX 1 5
16. WHY DATASTAX ●Needed Cassandra and Search combined ●Large distributed systems are hard ●Synchronizing them is crazy hard ●Access to support was crucial ●Time to market was imperative ●They are good people 1 6
17. COVERAGE MODEL What’s missing from big data is data
18.BIG DATA - Log Files - Metadata - Threat Intelligence - Context …all of these are not enough
19. EPIC DATA PCAP Threat Intel IoT Virtual Environment Log Files s Industrial Endpoint Controls Metadata Firewalls 1 9
20. DATA ANALYSIS Intelligent data reasoning based on first principles
21. SECURITY FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES Comprehensive Contextual Correlated Consensus Full packet capture across Cross-reference of Pattern recognition to Numerous classifiers and traditional, virtual (cloud), multiple indicators detect security events statistical analysis industrial control, IoT included in analysis from a plethora of modeled to form a observations consensus of experts
22.THE UTILITY OF THE CLOUD Security at scale
23.Security should be … A Utility ● A fundamentally basic service ● Continuous and unbroken ● Provided like other basic utilities (e.g. electricity and water) ● An operations expense ● Deeply automated ● Accessed via a myriad of surfaces A technology truly matures when it disappears and becomes beautiful
24. 24 To fundamentally change human experience in security
25. Q&A Gene Stevens Kartavya Jain email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org @genestevens & @ProtectWise @kartavyajain © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential
26. Thank you © 2017 DataStax, All Rights Reserved. Company Confidential